Objectives and Scope of the Module
This module aims to cover all aspects of process safety in a refinery and equipment. Additionally, in this module the student’s will develop an understanding of risk in oil and gas production facilities, the knowledge of risk mitigation by reliability engineering and risk management by focusing on the refinery and hydrocarbons processes.
Expected Learning Outcomes
At the end of the module, students should be able to recognise and follow the health and safety procedures, identify the hazardous phases in a refinery and petrochemicals complex or facilities and to implement the safety policy in order to achieve incident-free operations.
Module Structure and Contents
The Module contains lectures, examples, case studies and practical exercise in real conditions, i.e. in a petroleum refinery where the students will spend a whole working day and be trained in some of the safety procedures.
The contents of the Module include:
- Incident statistics in oil & gas industries
- Hazardous substances & legislation regarding major hazards industries/facilities
- The SEVESO Directive
- Hazard identification techniques
- Elements of Risk Assessment
- Hazard & Operability studies – Risk assessment Matrix
- Operational Deviations & layers of protection
- Risk assessment – Vulnerability of protection
- Layers of Protection
- Quantitative risk assessment
- Elements of incident investigation & safety management systems
- Visit to HELPE Aspropyrgos refinery
The Module includes lectures, one or two visits, exercises, an Assignment that contributes 30%-40% in the final mark and the final exams.